Have I told you all how absolutely insane work has been the last two weeks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Have I told you all how absolutely insane work has been the last two weeks?

Post by Laura on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:11 pm

Well, it's been insane, alright!!

What is going on, you ask?

The President of China is coming to Chicago for a visit. He asked to see an American High School. The City of Chicago's choice? Mine.

It's the middle of finals. They had to rearrange schedules, building open times, parking, public transportation, etc to make this happen. I will be giving a final during the 30 minutes or so that he's actually in the building, but for 1 1/2 hours before his scheduled arrival and for an hour after his expected departure we are on lockdown. I will be in a classroom giving my students their exam for 90 minutes of that, then we just hang out. We can't leave the room unless it's on fire. Seriously.

The school has been crawling with FBI and Secret Service all week. Every person who enters the building tomorrow must have an employee ID and go through a metal detector. All this and I won't even be on the same floor as the man!

Back to top Go down

Re: Have I told you all how absolutely insane work has been the last two weeks?

Post by rukristin on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:13 pm

that's really cool though Very Happy

Just Being Me
rukristin

http://rukristin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scrappnness on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:14 pm

Shocked Dang! That's crazy!

scrappnness

http://scrappnness.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jennaroo on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Are parents excited or nervous about this event?

Jenifer

SHAM/ Domestic Godess to 5 Wonderful Kiddos and Wifey for LifeyTo My Highschool Honey For 10yrs.

Life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
jennaroo

http://heldscraptive.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jessicabree on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:36 pm

I want to be excited for you but since you won't even see him, kind of a PITA! lol
jessicabree
Admin

http://www.jessicabree.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tess on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:58 pm

it's one of those double edged swords, huh? good luck!
Tess

http://damnthereiam.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:04 am

jennaroo wrote:Are parents excited or nervous about this event?

Not sure. Haven't talked to any of them about it. Kids just seem annoyed, in general. They don't quite understand what all the security is for (I mean beyond the "head of state" thing.)

jessicabree wrote:I want to be excited for you but since you won't even see him, kind of a PITA! lol

I'm excited to be a teacher at the school that was chosen to host him, but I think I might have passed if I knew what a pita it was going to be. And I'm not even the one doing all the planning and executing of all the stuff that needs to be done to accommodate him!

Tess wrote:it's one of those double edged swords, huh? good luck!

Yep! I'm trying to just remember that it's an honor, and it's getting my school's name out there in a very positive way. Here's hoping we pull it off so that tomorrow's press is positive, too!

Back to top Go down

Post by asarasota on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:10 pm

That's pretty awesome, Laura, what an historic event...
not sure how to tie math into the visit, but the history and social studies teachers must be having a heyday!

asarasota

Back to top Go down

Post by Pooky on Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:00 pm

very cool!
warning: traffic is going to be a pain
even in DC, where they are used to this kinda thing, streets shut down, traffic stopped. not pretty.
Pooky

http://pookyjo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:11 pm

So I have a report on the day:

Took the train (always do on Friday, anyway, but got up early to take an earlier train to see if that would help with the difficulty they were going to have getting everyone through security today.

Got to school at 7:15ish, only about 15 minutes earlier than usual. The entrance is PACKED with people. Police cars lining the street. News vans everywhere you look. I squeezed inside and was told to swipe in (as in at the time clock) before going through security.

They couldn't let us through security because they were still sweeping the building. No, not the janitors. Smile The secret service with the dogs. We thought they might find some interesting things in kids' lockers, but, alas, we got the all-clear. Teachers got to go through first.

It was like the airport, only I got to keep my shoes on. Bags and coats through the x-ray (brought in just for the occasion) bodies with pockets emptied through the metal detectors (we always have those, but we don't usually use them). No food or drink of any kind (I snuck my water bottle through somehow Very Happy ).

I get upstairs to find a secret service man guarding the way to the math hallway, and the office where I was headed. I told him I was a teacher and he let me pass.

At 8:30 the first exam of the day started. All my kids were there on time (thank goodness! School was being locked at 8:30. If you weren't there, you didn't take your final. Period.) And they hunkered down to take it. At about 9:30, we hear some screaming outside the windows. The shades were drawn (they close them every night, not sure why) but I discretely went to a window and peeked out. It was, um, Chinese supporters with flags and signs ("We love you President Hu" and something along the lines of "We love China" - that one was in Chinese and my student is only in the 2nd year of Chinese so she wasn't totally sure). We figured they must be BIG fans since at 9:30 this morning it was only about 1 degree outside.

My students finished their test at 10:00, but they couldn't leave until we got the announcement. So we hung out. A few students had brought food.

At 10:45 we heard screaming outside again. We decided he must have been leaving. A minute later 18 (we counted them) police cars drove down the street, followed by a limo and more police cars. I guess he was in the limo.

At 11:02 the students were released. Some schedules had to be changed to accommodate him leaving past the originally planned 10:30, but all-in-all it went really well, I think. He's invited 20 of our faculty and students to come to China for a visit, and he's providing some kind of software for our Chinese program. Nice guy! lol

You can see a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5RWV0zQjNI

It's not subtitled, so I don't know most of what's being said, except for when Chicago's mayor speaks.

First you'll see him enter the front doors, then he goes into an AP Chinese classroom. He also visited an Advanced Mathematics classroom, but that's not in this video. I'll be watching the local news tonight for more!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pooky on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:42 pm

very cool!
Pooky

http://pookyjo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ceekay on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:44 pm

What a day Laura! Exciting!
ceekay

Back to top Go down

Post by rukristin on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:11 pm

So fun!!!!!

Just Being Me
rukristin

http://rukristin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KimL141 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:52 pm

How cool, and crazy! I'm glad that it went well and besides a little late leaving, there were no unexpected events!

Back to top Go down

Post by KimL141 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:52 pm

How cool, and crazy! I'm glad that it went well and besides a little late leaving, there were no unexpected events!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top