Creative Soup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talk Tuesday 3.8 - All About Books

+10
datatar
asarasota
erinw
jennaroo
Shannon
J3SS1C4
HappyStamper
Laura
jessicabree
rukristin
14 posters

Go down

Talk Tuesday 3.8 - All About Books Empty Talk Tuesday 3.8 - All About Books

Post by rukristin Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:41 pm

Today we're gonna talk about books.

Do you read a lot? What are you currently reading?

What are some books you've just finished up? Were they good? Would you recommend them?

Do you have a list of books that you want to read? Whats on that list?

What are your favorite all time books? Are you the type of person that can read a book multiple times?

Do you ever listen to audio books?
rukristin
rukristin

http://rukristin.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Talk Tuesday 3.8 - All About Books Empty Re: Talk Tuesday 3.8 - All About Books

Post by rukristin Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:06 pm

Very Happy
rukristin
rukristin

Back to top Go down

Post by rukristin Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:10 pm

Do you read a lot? What are you currently reading? - I don't read as much as I used to--its never quiet enough for me to really get into a good book. Although I'm currently in the middle of The Mysterious Benedict Society trillogy, and I have The Hunger Games on my table as well.

What are some books you've just finished up? Were they good? Would you recommend them? The first Mysterious Benedict Society book was really good, I recommend it to anyone who likes kids chapter books.

Do you have a list of books that you want to read? Whats on that list? There are a lot of feminist and philosophical theory books on my list, but those are a big devotion that I'm not ready to make just yet.

What are your favorite all time books? Are you the type of person that can read a book multiple times? Harry Potter 3, 6, 7, 4, 2, 1, 5; then a bunch of political theory books

Do you ever listen to audio books? Every night! and sometimes while I'm cooking
rukristin
rukristin

Back to top Go down

Post by jessicabree Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:18 pm

I read a lot. I got into reading mostly teen urban fantasy... I think I like how they suck me in, they transport me to a different "world" and they offer true escapism.

I am reading Mermaid right now... a retelling of the Little Mermaid. So far I am enjoying it Smile

I adore the Wicked Lovely series and I have re-read some of those. I am considering re-reading the City of Glass/Bones, etc. books by Cassandra Clare before the 4th one comes out. LOVE those plus The Infernal Devices series she started.

For non-teen stuff I read a lot of different books but most are all by diff authors, except I have read most of Amy Tan's books. Really enjoy those.

I rarely do books on tape in part because of cost, but we do listen to Harry Potter books on drives to Orlando. Love it.
jessicabree
jessicabree
Admin

http://www.jessicabree.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:04 pm

I'm currently reading Sin in the Second City (not that good, but I feel the need to finish it), The Hardest Questions Aren't on the Test (for work), Designing Groupwork
(also for work), and the first of the Mysterious Benedict Society series (thanks, K!)

What are some books you've just finished up? Were they good? Would you recommend them? Most recently I finished Strapless. It was OK. Kept me entertained, but wasn't great. Before that was The Namesake, which I really enjoyed.

Do you have a list of books that you want to read? Whats on that list? TONS of books that I want to read. Up soon: Her Fearful Symmetry, The Replacement, and Let the Great World Spin.

What are your favorite all time books? Are you the type of person that can read a book multiple times? I have re-read very few books. There are just so many that I want to read, I can't justify spending time reading something again. All-time faves? All 7 Harry Potters (need to re-read these, though), The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (read several times), Lord of the Flies (only twice, but I'll surely read it again when each of the boys reads it for school), and Bridge to Terabethia (four or five times so far).

Do you ever listen to audio books? When we drove to New Hampshire last summer we brought a few to listen to for the boys. That was my first experience with them. I find that I space out too much when I'm driving, which would likely be when I'd listen to them. I really like the actual reading.
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyStamper Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:01 pm

Do you read a lot? I used to read all the time until my fibro got so bad that I couldn't concentrate and , now that I am feeling better, I am too busy. What are you currently reading? At Home In Renaissance Italy- a book I had been searching for and scored when I visited the Ringling Museum with Alecia!

What are some books you've just finished up? The Illuminator Were they good? Talk Tuesday 3.8 - All About Books 224496 Would you recommend them? If you like historical fiction set in the 14th century

Do you have a list of books that you want to read? I have a stack waiting for me. Whats on that list? Lucrezia Borghia, The Birth of Venus, The Girl with the Unicorn (all historical fiction)

What are your favorite all time books? Talk Tuesday 3.8 - All About Books 272522 Are you the type of person that can read a book multiple times? Nope, I generally only keep non-fiction books and give away the fiction when I've finished reading it.

Do you ever listen to audio books? No
HappyStamper
HappyStamper

Back to top Go down

Post by J3SS1C4 Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:12 am

- I used to read alot when I was a kid, pretty much could always be found reading something. Once I hit uni, I ended up too busy to read as much. I just started reading a mystery type book called The Watcher today. Started it awhile back, but only got a few chapters in and got too busy to finish, but enjoyed it enought I decided to try again.

What are some books you've just finished up? Were they good? Would you recommend them?
- Most recently finished book was The Intimate Adventures of a London Call Girl series. Brought 3 of them a year and a half ago, and pick them up when I want something different to read. While their subject matter can be a bit much sometimes, her sense of humour is right up my alley, and I do find them quite interesting. If you've got no problems reading about sex, then I'd recommend them

- Its a massive list! I have the Wicked books here ready to go, and the True Blood books. I also want to read the whole Tomorrow When the War Began series, which my sister has. I need to have a bit of uninterrupted time to start a series though, I don't like stopping once I start!

What are your favorite all time books? Are you the type of person that can read a book multiple times?
- Twilight books, Harry Potter books, Eragon books, and Dan Brown books. I've reread the Harry Potter ones multiple times, reread them each time a new one came out, but so far, haven't reread the rest, but I definately would. I used to always do that!

- No, I don't like them as much... There's nothing like curling up and actually reading the book properly!

J3SS1C4

Back to top Go down

Post by Shannon Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:02 am

Yes. I am reading a free kindle book right now called Love, Unexpectedly. I just really started reading so I can't really give much input on it.

What are some books you've just finished up? Were they good? Would you recommend them? I finished up the High Heels Mystery books by Gemma Halliday. They were good. At times they seemed to drag on and I think that they were very similar to the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series.

I have lots on my list. I have a ton of free books to read - mostly classics. Smile
I have Debbie Macombers Blossoms Street Series waiting to read. A ton of James Patterson books too.
What are your favorite all time books? Are you the type of person that can read a book multiple times? Little Women, To Kill a Mockingbird, All Judy Blum and Beverly Cleary books (so glad my kids like these books now), Twilight, Stephanie Plum series...so many to list. I love rereading my favorites!

Do you ever listen to audio books? Nope
Shannon
Shannon

Back to top Go down

Post by jennaroo Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:13 am

I read ANYTHING Danielle Steel I've almost read everything she has bar her last 4-5 books! They are super cheesy romance, but a indulgence I love to partake, lol!
jennaroo
jennaroo

http://heldscraptive.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by erinw Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:30 pm

Oh, boy. Love this topic! lol

Bree, you'll be so excited to know that I'm really getting into YA stuff these days. It's never been my favorite genre, but here lately, I'm loving everything YA that I read!

I just read Fallen by Lauren Kate and really liked it... getting ready to start the second in that series, Torment.

And I recently discovered Amanda Hocking, who is a super awesome self-published YA author, who has been insanely successful (and made mad money!!)... craziness for being self-published. But I'm really liking her stuff, too. I read her Trylle Trilogy and have a few more of her books waiting to be read.

I like to read just about anything. Love romance.. historicals, paranormals, contemporaries... whatever!! My nose is always in my Nook (which is one reason scrapping has really taken a backseat lately!!!)
erinw
erinw

http://crazycommamomma.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by asarasota Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:32 pm

I read for a living, too...
best thing lately was a series by Stephen Lawhead that will be out to the public in April, a time travel trilogy. Good stuff.

asarasota

Back to top Go down

Post by datatar Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:06 pm

Do you read a lot? What are you currently reading? I love to read, but have not read anything in the past couple of months. DH has been working a lot lately and I would feel guilty reading a book after my girls went to bed instead of spending time with him.

What are some books you've just finished up? Were they good? Would you recommend them? I read the Dark Tower series by Steven King over the summer and LOVED them! I've read that there may be a tv series based on the books or a movie starring Christian Bale. I would love to see this story on screen!

Do you have a list of books that you want to read? I'm totally out of the loop as far as authors go and need to get a list together. I wish my library would put together a display of new arrivals that I could choose from to make things easier. A lot of the books you Ladies have mentioned sounds great.

What are your favorite all time books? Are you the type of person that can read a book multiple times? I love the romanitc classics by Austen and Bronte, and have read several of those more than once. I also love Edgar Allen Poe and science fiction.

Do you ever listen to audio books? I don't have long stretches of quiet time so audio books don't really work for me. Anything that I would choose probably wouldn't be great for a road trip with the kids either, LOL.
datatar
datatar

http://datatar.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieK Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:27 pm

datatar wrote:

What are some books you've just finished up? Were they good? Would you recommend them? I read the Dark Tower series by Steven King over the summer and LOVED them! I've read that there may be a tv series based on the books or a movie starring Christian Bale. I would love to see this story on screen!

I've heard the same thing, Dana. Everyone in my family has read and LOVES those books. I just haven't got around to them.
StevieK
StevieK

Back to top Go down

Post by StevieK Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:37 pm

Do you read a lot? I used to read all the time until I really got into scrapping. What are you currently reading? I've been reading Her Fearful Symmetry, and 2 other books (I think) for quite some time. Just haven't picked them up to finish them yet.

What are some books you've just finished up? I think the last book I finished was The Last Song. That was quite a bit ago. Were they good? Would you recommend them? I'd definitely recommend if you're into Nicholas Sparks books.

Do you have a list of books that you want to read? I usually take pics of books I want to read at Barnes & Noble so I'll remember them. I don't have any I'm dying to read though. Whats on that list? I do want to read Nicholas Sparks new book, Safe Haven.

What are your favorite all time books? There are so many I read when I was younger that I don't even remember the names. I would say Stephen Kings Bag of Bones is my all time fave. Followed by most of Nick Sparks books. Are you the type of person that can read a book multiple times? I've read The Time Traveler's Wife twice. That's another fave.

Do you ever listen to audio books? Nope. I think I'd space out and not pay attention.
StevieK
StevieK

Back to top Go down

Post by jessicabree Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:38 pm

erinw wrote:Oh, boy. Love this topic! lol

Bree, you'll be so excited to know that I'm really getting into YA stuff these days. It's never been my favorite genre, but here lately, I'm loving everything YA that I read!

I just read Fallen by Lauren Kate and really liked it... getting ready to start the second in that series, Torment.

And I recently discovered Amanda Hocking, who is a super awesome self-published YA author, who has been insanely successful (and made mad money!!)... craziness for being self-published. But I'm really liking her stuff, too. I read her Trylle Trilogy and have a few more of her books waiting to be read.

I like to read just about anything. Love romance.. historicals, paranormals, contemporaries... whatever!! My nose is always in my Nook (which is one reason scrapping has really taken a backseat lately!!!)

Welcome to the dark side! Finally!

I started the OTHER big Amanda Hocking series, but over time felt like they dragged some and really could use some editing. But the price is great so I deal.

Done Fallen of course.

YA is a big switch but I go in phases. Very Happy
jessicabree
jessicabree
Admin

http://www.jessicabree.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post by erinw Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:25 pm

I've never disliked YA, but it's just not been my favorite genre. I don't know why, all of a sudden, I love it so much. I just feel like some of the "adult" paranormal/urban fantasy stuff gets so crazy and almost over my head... I don't think I'm a totally stupid person, but when I have to think TOO hard while reading to keep things straight? That's not so much fun. With YA, I love that I still get those paranormal elements, but it's not so complex that I can't keep up. If that makes any sense at all!!!

Plus, I also think I'm liking the more "innocent" love/sex stories. I love a steamy sex scene as much as the next desperate housewife, but sometimes they're way over the top.... and enough is enough. I like that there's a romance element in YA but it's not crazy, ridiculous, graphic sex all the time.

So, now, Bree (and other YA fans), I need a list from you of your faves!!! I've read the Wicked Lovely books (most of them, anyway)... and Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series... and a few other random YA books. What are some must-reads that I should check out??
erinw
erinw

Back to top Go down

Post by erinw Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:26 pm

Oh, and I've read the Twilight books, of course! LOL
erinw
erinw

Back to top Go down

Post by datatar Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:27 am

A big thank you Erin for the Rachel Vincent recommendation! I read Shift yesterday and am totally hooked and will be looking for more of Rachel's work for sure.

Smile
datatar
datatar

http://datatar.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JenParker Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:19 am

I don't read as much as I wish I did... I read before bed and on the subway while traveling places. I am currently reading Unmarketing by Scott Straten

I just finished reading craft inc. and i wrote a review of it on my blog! It is an awesome book! http://cheekybunny.com/2011/02/book-review-craft-inc/

I do have a list... next i plan to read the handmade marketplace, then the creative entrepreneur, then craft corp,

Fav book of all time... hmmm i would have to say the Giver by Lois Lowery or the neverending story... both of these I can read multiple times but others I have trouble doing so.

I am a much better reader then listener... while listening i tend to tune things out to think about other things...
JenParker
JenParker

http://www.cheekybunny.com

Back to top Go down

Post by erinw Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:26 am

datatar wrote:A big thank you Erin for the Rachel Vincent recommendation! I read Shift yesterday and am totally hooked and will be looking for more of Rachel's work for sure.

Smile

YAY! I'm so thrilled to hear this!!! she's my all-time favorite. That series is just the best!!!!!!

She also writes a YA series that is okay... not my favorite, but it's alright.

And she's getting ready to release a book in a new "adult" series... really anxious for that one!!!!
erinw
erinw

Back to top Go down

Post by Katie Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:42 pm

I do read a lot, reading is one of my favorite hobbies. I am currently reading a book called "Listen" that was a freebie on Barnes & Noble Nook & I am half way through "Half Broke Horses" by Jeanette Walls

I recently finished " The Hunger Games" series and "Night Shift" by Lilith Saintcrow. Loved all these books & would recommend them

I keep a list of books I want to read on goodreads.com. On my list: Wally Lamb's "I Know This Much is True," Shifters series by Rachel Vincent, Lauren Oliver's "Before I Fall," the Wicked Lovely series, Anna Quindlen's "Every Last One," pluse about 10 others.

My favorite book ever was a "Meg" book when I was a child. As an adult, I can't pick a favorite because I like so many. I do not read a book more than once. Who has time for that? lol

Not really. I have listened to a couple, but if it isn't the right narrator I just can't listen.
Katie
Katie

http://scissorsspatulasandsneakers.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mara Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:07 pm

I read tons. I would read all the time if I could. I get it from my mom. She read 140 books last year. I average 50+. Right now Im reading the final Wicked Lovely book.

I Just finished River Marked by Patricia Briggs. It was ok. Overall I really like this series. Im a big fan of kick butt female heroes

I don't keep a list I usually just read whatever Bree tells me too. :giggle: I also want to read some more classics.

I reread books all the time. I love finding comfort in the pages or relearning the lessons they contain. These are the books that live on my headboard to reread: Lord of the Rings, Memoirs of a Geisha, The Sookie Vampire series, Harry Potter, and several others.

Nope
Mara
Mara
Admin

http://studiolorange.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by erinw Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Mara, I've LOVED the Mercy series... until now. I absolutely hated River Marked... and was soooo disappointed!!!! Everyone else seems to love it, but blech. Honestly, there was NOTHING about it that I liked. They need to go back to the Tri-Cities already! LOL
erinw
erinw

Back to top Go down

Post by Mara Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:29 pm

erinw wrote:Mara, I've LOVED the Mercy series... until now. I absolutely hated River Marked... and was soooo disappointed!!!! Everyone else seems to love it, but blech. Honestly, there was NOTHING about it that I liked. They need to go back to the Tri-Cities already! LOL

They really really do. I also miss Samuel and Stefan. I think this always happens when there is a love triangle (or lsquare?) and they finally pick one person to be with.

Have you read the Alpha/Omega series? It's about Charles and his bride. There have only been 2 books but i think I might actually like them better.
Mara
Mara
Admin

http://studiolorange.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by erinw Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:33 pm

I haven't read the Alpha/Omega books yet... I keep thinking I want to. then, after I hated River Marked so much, I wondered if I really needed to read them! lol

I think I'll put them on my list!

I really have LOVED the series up until now. I just didn't "get" River Marked at all. Everyone has been going on and on about how it's great b/c it gives you all this insight about Mercy's heritage, blah blah blah. Whatever. I didn't even think it really did that... I thought it was super confusing... and didn't like any of the new characters that were introduced for ONE book. Silly. I totally missed the Pack stuff and Samuel... and the little snippets of Stefan at the beginning and end were probably my favorite parts!!!
erinw
erinw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down