Creative Soup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1.18 Talk Tuesday - Organization & Planning

+11
J3SS1C4
Laura
leslie
ceekay
HappyStamper
jennaroo
asarasota
monica
ScrapHappy
Mara
jessicabree
15 posters

Go down

1.18 Talk Tuesday - Organization & Planning Empty 1.18 Talk Tuesday - Organization & Planning

Post by jessicabree Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:50 pm

Poor sweet K is feeling sick, so I am filling in for her. Given I have an insane number of posts, I figure that qualifies me for anything related to talking 1.18 Talk Tuesday - Organization & Planning 264383

Your question this week:

Are you a planner? How do you keep your day/week/life organized.

Would love to see your answers here, but you can also blog or scrap about the topic as well. If you do please link back so we can see!
jessicabree
jessicabree
Admin

http://www.jessicabree.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

1.18 Talk Tuesday - Organization & Planning Empty Re: 1.18 Talk Tuesday - Organization & Planning

Post by Mara Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:17 am

Ohh fun question!!

I am a planner well I like to think I am. I like to have a set schedule.Unfortunatley I have a DH who HATES HATES HATES planning anything in advance so its tough.

I work FT so that takes up the majority of my schedule and then schedule my exercise after work each week. My problem is that 7:30-10pm slot I would do better if I had more of a routine.
Mara
Mara
Admin

http://studiolorange.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

1.18 Talk Tuesday - Organization & Planning Empty Re: 1.18 Talk Tuesday - Organization & Planning

Post by ScrapHappy Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:22 am

We are pretty scheduled....3 kiddos in school and sports. Hubby and I work full-time from home. So, I use a regular paper calendar. We work around the kids and go from there.
ScrapHappy
ScrapHappy

Back to top Go down

Post by monica Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:11 am

I'm kind of a planner. Meaning, I like to have a to-do list for each day but don't ask me to plan something 8 months out. Who knows what I'll feel like 8 months from now. lol

I work during the day so all those to-dos are in my work Outlook. All my personal to-dos I keep in my iphone.

I have tried to schedule things like laundry, cleaning the house, etc. but that doesn't seem to work for me. It's "too" structured. So having a simple to-do list each day works perfect.
monica
monica

http://www.scrapfreak.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post by asarasota Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:39 am

I'm a short-term planner that has trouble with long-term planning, such as yearly trips and things 5 years down the road...

asarasota

Back to top Go down

Post by jennaroo Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:51 pm

I am definately a planner, I HATE HATE HATE spur the moment stuff, it really irks DH. I have an agenda planner and I plan a month at a time and every thursday I update my to do list into the following week. I am so bad I block out the everyday obvious stuff in blk so nothing is done during those time, any errands are in red, DT and all other important scrap projects in purple, events in teal.

I also budget for a year at a time.

But my overall biggest organizational quirk is that I have my main grocery list saved on my computer, it's in order by shopping ailse. I major shop once a month and go back weekly for fresh stuff. I hate writing the list out each time so I have saved it and each month I print it and highlight what I need. Everytime there is something i need thats not on the list I add it in......I almost have the whole darn grocery store inventory saved in my pc! PPl see this list when I shop and are like seriously.......lol!!! YEP, I'm a freak!
jennaroo
jennaroo

http://heldscraptive.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mara Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:42 pm

wow Jenifer that is some system you have!!!!! I don't have a daily planner since all my days are the same but I do keep a super detailed shopping list on my itouch!
Mara
Mara
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyStamper Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:58 pm

Jenifer- I don't do my grocery shopping list that way but I do something similar for packing. I have a Universal Packing List that includes clothing for every conceivable type of trip, things needed for camping ("regular" and SCA), things needed for attending conventions, scrapping retreat stuff, special stuff for antiquing trips, etc, etc, etc. Scrolling through the big list jogs my memory so I don't forget the things I actually need for individual trips.
HappyStamper
HappyStamper

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyStamper Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:06 pm

At the moment I don't use a planner being a stay-at-home-grandma but when I worked retail I used a planner to record my work schedule, daily sales figures to keep track of commission earned, kids school & sports schedules, etc. When I did direct selling I had my calendar, customer files, contact list, milage, expenses, etc. When I was on three DT's at once I made a planner with a section for upcoming assignments, one for completed projects including all products used, a section to record projects submitted for publication (small section since I didn't care about getting published but was pushed to submit by one of my DT coordinators), and inspiration sections for sketches, magazine clippings, etc. I bought a new planner today since I am getting back into direct selling. I'm not an organized person by nature so I use planners to keep myself on track!
HappyStamper
HappyStamper

Back to top Go down

Post by ceekay Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:31 pm

There are some things I'm very organized with and others not so much!

Since we travel to Mexico every year I have an Acapulco planning book that I use from year to year. I have my inventory list of items I keep in storage in Mexico. a grocery shopping to set up the apartment list, reading list, items to pack for the next year, etc.

I keep a wall calendar at home for most of my other planning, doctor appts. and other activities!
I keep a pocket calendar in my purse!

ceekay
ceekay

Back to top Go down

Post by jennaroo Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm

HappyStamper wrote:Jenifer- I don't do my grocery shopping list that way but I do something similar for packing. I have a Universal Packing List that includes clothing for every conceivable type of trip, things needed for camping ("regular" and SCA), things needed for attending conventions, scrapping retreat stuff, special stuff for antiquing trips, etc, etc, etc. Scrolling through the big list jogs my memory so I don't forget the things I actually need for individual trips.

Oh yes I forgot I have one of those too, for our motocross races....would hate to get to a race and forget something important Also I have a very detailed checklist saved that I print after races for maintenence and upkeep on the bikes, it has everything from oil change to checking all spokes and screws to make sure nothing is loose, lol.

Another I forgot about is I am a super clean person, we pick up all week and clean what needs to be done, but every week we go through and do a deep clean if you will and I also have a room by room check list for this.
jennaroo
jennaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by leslie Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:58 pm

Let's just say I am the opposite of Jenifer and leave it at that 1.18 Talk Tuesday - Organization & Planning 730944
leslie
leslie

http://lbthmi.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jennaroo Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:14 pm

leslie wrote:Let's just say I am the opposite of Jenifer and leave it at that 1.18 Talk Tuesday - Organization & Planning 730944

lmao!!! I just love you!!! I'm a freak I know it, lol! My husbands hates hates hates how organized I am! But you have to realize.....theres 7 ppl in my house and lets go ahead and say 6 are kids, lol, because we all know DH's essentially are children too. So yes I have 6 kids to remind to wear matchinfg socks, teeth to get brushed, faces to be washed, and shoes to be tied......I have to keep my end organized or I'd drown in to do list literally, lol.
jennaroo
jennaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:17 pm

I am totally a planner, and married whatever the opposite of a planner is. He's slowly working me into planning less, but it's driving me crazy in the meanwhile.

For home we use Google Calendar. It really helps to keep us both on track with what's going on. I much prefer the visual of who is doing what in blocks of time over just a quick note on a monthly calendar. I even include regular stuff like my work and the boys' school so that I can see at a glance that we DON'T have school and that something else can get scheduled there.

At work I'm struggling right now. Previously I had my big notebook with detailed notes on what I was doing each day. Now we all plan our lessons together, so I'm having a harder time doing that. I think I need to start, though, because I constantly feel like I'm lost (don't you wish I taught YOUR children? lol )

CT and other creative stuff? No method right now AT ALL. Probably why I'm having such a hard time being creative these days.

I've never scheduled housework. It gets done when it gets done. I've tried scheduling it and it just made me rebel Very Happy
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post by jessicabree Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:55 pm

I am NOT a planner. I am urgency driven, so I do what is needed, when its needed, but not in advance and don't like to schedule stuff unless I have to.

I do keep a calendar at work, and its mostly just my meetings. I do my to-do's at work and for DT work by just thinking each day about what is coming up, what I need to do the next few days, etc. Its mostly just in my head and by some miracle it works.

If things overly busy, I will block off time at work on my calendar for big to-do items and I sometimes use post-it notes.
jessicabree
jessicabree
Admin

http://www.jessicabree.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jennaroo Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:59 pm

Laura wrote:I am totally a planner, and married whatever the opposite of a planner is. He's slowly working me into planning less, but it's driving me crazy in the meanwhile.

For home we use Google Calendar. It really helps to keep us both on track with what's going on. I much prefer the visual of who is doing what in blocks of time over just a quick note on a monthly calendar. I even include regular stuff like my work and the boys' school so that I can see at a glance that we DON'T have school and that something else can get scheduled there.

At work I'm struggling right now. Previously I had my big notebook with detailed notes on what I was doing each day. Now we all plan our lessons together, so I'm having a harder time doing that. I think I need to start, though, because I constantly feel like I'm lost (don't you wish I taught YOUR children? lol )

CT and other creative stuff? No method right now AT ALL. Probably why I'm having such a hard time being creative these days.

I've never scheduled housework. It gets done when it gets done. I've tried scheduling it and it just made me rebel Very Happy

Do you feel that changes over the years educationally have been more beneficial or crippling? I'm sure theres benefits but do they outweigh the negative effects?
jennaroo
jennaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by J3SS1C4 Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:41 pm

I am getting into the habit of planning a bit more... I have a binder at home that I use to file all my paperwork that I need on hand, and a filing cabinet for the rest, and my folder has my calendar and to do list in it.

I finally have a set roster at work, so I don't have to worry too much about marking that on my calendar, but as soon as I have a date set for anything, I write it on my calendar or I forget it. I usually have a to do list that I add to as much as I can, because I get nothing done otherwise.

J3SS1C4

Back to top Go down

Post by mvance Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:47 pm

We do have a daily routine for after school & I plan menus weekly based on what activities we have each day. Also, do a lot of planning at work since I teach in a classroom, so when I can at home, I like to just "fly by the seat of my pants"
mvance
mvance

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:35 am

I am the only planner in our family. I have a diary where everything gets written in - blue for hubby, light blue for DS, green for me and light green for DD. Black for general family. Purple for meetings I have.

I am a visual person so this helps me when I look at my diary I can see whether someone has something going on that day or not.

Usually Tuesdays and Fridays are clean the house days. Sunday and Monday evenings ironing in front of tv. Shopping Tuesdays. Everything else gets cleaned everyday.
Liz
Liz

http://lovinglife-liz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mara Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:26 pm

I can't believe how organized y'all are!!!!
Mara
Mara
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Laura Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:26 pm

jennaroo wrote:
Laura wrote:I am totally a planner, and married whatever the opposite of a planner is. He's slowly working me into planning less, but it's driving me crazy in the meanwhile.

Do you feel that changes over the years educationally have been more beneficial or crippling? I'm sure theres benefits but do they outweigh the negative effects?

You really want to open up a can of worms? lol I think overall the changes have been good. There have been missteps and a few poor decisions, but we are seeing improvements. As a teacher, I feel like there's no better time to be one. Innovation is rewarded (if not financially, at least socially) and we are no longer expected to work in isolation. I really wish I had learned math and social studies the way these kids are learning it nowadays. I'd actually remember the social studies, and heck, I guess I'd be even better at math! lol
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post by jennaroo Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:40 pm

Laura wrote:
jennaroo wrote:

You really want to open up a can of worms? lol I think overall the changes have been good. There have been missteps and a few poor decisions, but we are seeing improvements. As a teacher, I feel like there's no better time to be one. Innovation is rewarded (if not financially, at least socially) and we are no longer expected to work in isolation. I really wish I had learned math and social studies the way these kids are learning it nowadays. I'd actually remember the social studies, and heck, I guess I'd be even better at math! lol

Nah I hate worms, lol! I just like to hear what differnet teacher;s have to say.
jennaroo
jennaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pooky Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:47 pm

i'm a certified Project Management Professional
planning is my life.

yes, that is PMP, and its *not* missing the "i"
Pooky
Pooky

http://pookyjo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KAT Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:04 am

I don't think I even have the MEANING of organized in my brain. *sigh* I've always liked to say that if I knew how, I would do it, but really, I'm a procrastinator by nature...and no, I don't learn my lesson....so even if I was given a really good system of organization...for any part of my life...I'd screw it up.
KAT
KAT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down